Summer reading begins Monday, July 13. You’ll find a sign-up sheet in the lobby. Grab a reading log from the folder, pick up a free book, and take one of the weekly prizes. There will be a prize-drawing at the end of summer.
Summer Book Club
Mrs. Bruttomesso’s virtual summer book club has started ~ and there are still books available if you would like to join. This is for incoming or exiting 4th- through 6th-graders (ages 9-12). The book is The Unforgettable Guinevere St. Clair, by Amy Makechnie. There will be 2 Zoom meetings, one on Wed. July 29 and a celebration meeting on Saturday, Aug 29. Please contact the library to join the book club and arrange a book pick-up.
STEAM Grab-and Go projects
Drop by each week to pick up a STEAM Grab and Go project in the lobby. The projects are provided by 4H and activities include constructing an FPG-9 Glider and building a marshmallow bridge.
Page Turner Adventures
Page Turner Adventures begin Monday, July 13 and you may join any time. Think: circus + story + larger-than-life props in a mad alchemy of storytelling and imagination. The audience becomes the HERO in the story, interacting directly with the actors on stage. There are adventures five days a week for 6 weeks. Each adventure lasts 30 – 45 minutes. To participate, you will need to join the facebook group Page Turner Adventures at Candor Free Library’s facebook page.
- Monday: SHOW DAY – with a different Virtual Comedy Story Theater show.
- Tuesday: PROJECT DAY – crafts, games, recipes, games, science experiments, and activities
- Wednesday: AUTHOR & ILLUSTRATOR DAY – interviews and activities with some of the most amazing authors and illustrators in the business. Also: read-alongs, activities, trivia games, and book giveaways.
- Thursday: TWEEN DAY –crafts and activities for upper elementary and middle school kids.
- Friday: SPECIAL GUEST DAY: Ringling Clowns, world-renowned magicians, Grammy Winning Singers, ventriloquists, puppeteers, and pirates. Or go on a “field trip” to zoos, science museums, and the International Clown Hall of Fame.
Summer Library Programs (VIRTUAL)
Wed. July 15 ~ Didgeridoo Down Under, at 6:30 pm. This is a Zoom event for Tioga County libraries. You can find the link on Candor Library’s facebook page, or you can email the library for a link.
Didgeridoo Down Under is a high-energy, Australia-themed show that combines music, culture, comedy, character building, storytelling and audience participation. The didgeridoo has been played by Aboriginal Australians for at least 1,500 years and is known for its otherworldly sound. But DDU is more than music. It’s interactive, educational, motivational and super fun. You’ll learn about Aussie culture, animals and more, all while moving & grooving to the pulsing rhythms of the didge!
Tuesday, July 28 ~ The Dirtmeister at 7pm. This is a fun blend of science, mirth and merriment. The “Dirtmeister” will present more than a dozen common science "facts" that in some cases are simply magnificent myths and urban legends, including whether lightning can strike the same place twice and toilets flush backwards in the Southern Hemisphere. Candor is providing this program in cooperation with three other libraries, so you may participate in any of them. Check back for links; here are the dates and times:
Candor 7/28 at 7pm
Waverly 7/29 at 10am
Coburn 7/29 at 6pm
Spencer 8/3 TBD