Do you know that you can read magazines for free on your computer, laptop, smartphone, ipad, or Kindle? All you need is a library card from the Candor Free Library. This will then allow you connect to the Finger Lakes Library System online. Once connected, you will go to the Zinio e-magazine site to proceed to get your digital copy.
There are currently 103 different magazine titles available, and more may be added. You will find several choices for men, women, teens, and children in genres such as art, computers, finance, fitness, food, music, nature, news, travel, and many more. You can read the magazines online or download them for later reading. There is no limit to the number of magazines you can download at one time and you may keep them forever. If you are looking for a past issue of a magazine, you can find that there, also.
Here is how you connect to Zinio:
- If you don’t already have one, get a library card at the Candor Free Library.
- Use your library card number and the last 4 digits of the phone number you used to obtain your library card to connect online to the Finger Lakes Library System at http://www.flls.org.
- Click on Zinio e-magazines on the left side of the screen.
- Once on the Zinio site, if you want to check out a magazine, you will need to create an account with Zinio. You register with your email address and create a password. This password is different from your library password.
Devices compatible with Zinio: (For the first 4 you need to download the magazine in order to read it; #5 allows you to instantly read the magazine by streaming)
- iPad – get the Zinio for Libraries app at the iTunes store.
- iPhone - get the Zinio for Libraries app at the iTunes store.
- Android – get the Zinio for Libraries app at the Google Play store.
- Kindle Fire HD/HDX - get the Zinio for Libraries app at the Amazon store.
- Some PC and Mac laptops and computers may work with Zinio, but others may not. According to the Zinio website, “Depending upon your geographic location, the equipment that you are using to access the Site, the bandwidth available to you and other factors, you may not have access to streaming and/or downloadable Site Content.”
Browse and Check Out:
- Browse magazines to add to your personal Zinio for Libraries viewer account.
- Search by genre, title, alphabet, or keyword.
- Click on the current cover to view magazine details for current or back issues (as available)
- Check out the newest issue or back issues.
- Enjoy unlimited checkouts.
- Opt-in to be notified by email when new issues are added to your magazine collection.
Manage Checked-Out Magazines:
- My Collection - Read magazines from within your reading collection.
- Select the My Collection link at the top right corner of the Zinio page to access all previously checked-out magazines.
- Click on the cover of the magazine you wish to read or the Read Now icon.
- Remove unwanted issues by selecting the trash icon.
- Enhance your reading experience with mobile device apps, including those for iPad and iPhone, Android, Kindle Fire HD/HDX (The Kindle Fire app requires enabling your device to accept apps from “other” non-Kindle Store sources).
- Access your app store directly or from the links provided on the Zinio library collection page.
- Mobile apps require a downloaded edition of the magazine
- To check out additional magazines from our library, you will need to go back in your browser to your library collection page. All checkouts are completed in the browser. The apps are for Reading Only.
Help - Click on the word "help" on the bottom right of the Zinio page.
- Check Frequently Asked Questions
- Look at the User Guide for your device
- Watch a Tutorial about using your device to access magazines